Provide special education students with in-person and/or virtual learning activities and experiences designed to help them fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and social growth. Develop or modify curricula and prepare lessons and other instructional materials to match student ability levels. Work in a self-contained, team, departmental, or itinerant capacity as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
Valid Texas teaching certificate with required special education endorsements for assignments
Knowledge of special needs of students in assigned area
Knowledge of Admission, Review, and Dismissal (ARD) Committee process and Individual Education Plan (IEP) goal-setting process and implementation
Knowledge of how to adapt curriculum and instruction for special needs
Effective communication skills
One year student teaching or approved internship
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Collaborate with students, parents, and other members of staff to develop IEP through the ARD Committee process for each student assigned
- Implement an in-person and/or virtual instructional, therapeutic, or skill development program for assigned students and show written evidence of preparation as required.
- Conduct an assessment of student learning styles. Plan and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, and equipment that reflect the understanding of the learning styles and needs of students assigned.
- Present subject matter effectively and according to guidelines established by IEP. Employ a variety of instructional techniques and media including technology to meet the needs and capabilities of each student assigned
- Work cooperatively with classroom teachers to modify regular curricula as needed and assist special education students in regular classes with assignments.
- Participate in ARD Committee meetings on a regular basis.
- Participate in the selection of books, equipment, and other instructional media.
Student Growth and Development
- Conduct ongoing assessments of student achievement through formal and informal testing.
- Provide or supervise personal care, medical care, and feeding of students as stated in IEP.
- Assume responsibility for extracurricular activities as assigned. Sponsor outside activities approved by the campus principal.
- Consult district and outside resource people regarding the education, social, medical, and personal needs of students.
*Stipend Available; small caseload; small-class size; salary negotiable based on experience