Plan, implement, and evaluate a comprehensive developmental guidance and counseling program at
assigned campus. Counsel students to fully develop each student’s academic, career, personal, and
social abilities and address the needs of special population students.
Master’s degree in guidance counseling
Valid Texas counseling certificate
Knowledge of counseling procedures, student appraisal, and career development
Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Ability to instruct students and manage their behavior
Ability to present information in one-on-one, small group, and large group situations to students,
parents, and district staff
Three years teaching experience
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Plan and conduct structured group lessons to deliver district’s guidance curriculum effectively and in
accordance with students’ developmental needs. Collaborate with teachers who teach guidance-related
2. Guide individual students, groups of students, and parents to plan, monitor, and manage the student’s
own educational and career development including creating and reviewing personal graduation plans
and providing information about post-secondary opportunities.
Counselor Plainview ISD HR Services
* Pay Plans & Employee Calendars located at www.plainviewisd.org – Click on Employment tab
3. Use accepted theories and effective techniques of developmental guidance to counsel individual
students, small groups of students, and parents to plan, monitor, and manage a student’s own personal
and social development. Provide preventive, remedial, and crisis counseling as needed.
4. Coordinate school, home, and community resources and refer students, parent, and others to special
programs and services as needed.
5. Work collaboratively to advocate for individual students and specific groups of students.
6. Interpret standardized test results and assessment data to guide students in individual goal setting and
Program Management and Administration
7. Plan, implement, evaluate, and promote continuous improvement of a balanced comprehensive
developmental guidance and counseling program that includes guidance curriculum, responsive
services, individual planning, and system support components.
8. Advocate for a school environment that acknowledges and respects diversity.
9. Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents.
10. Comply with policies established by federal and state law, State Board of Education rule, and board
policy. Comply with all district and campus routines and regulations.
11. Adhere to legal, ethical, and professional standards for school counselors including current professional
standards of competence and practice.
12. Maintain confidentiality of information.