Assess the educational, learning styles, and program needs of students referred to special
education/student support services. Work cooperatively with instructional personnel to provide the most
appropriate instructional programs for students with disabilities and/or students requiring support
Master’s degree in educational assessment
Valid Texas teaching certificate
Valid Texas educational diagnostician certificate
Knowledge of current case law related to students with disabilities; strict legal compliance with federal
and state mandates
Knowledge of the education of special education students, human development, and learning theories
Knowledge of characteristics, etiology, and research related to cognitive, language, motor, and
social/emotional aspects of emotional behavioral and learning disabilities, including students with
Knowledge of diagnostic procedures for assessing achievement, intellectual, and behavioral functioning
Ability to interpret data
Knowledge of prevention and intervention strategies (both academic/cognitive and behavioral)
Excellent organizational, communication, and inter- and intrapersonal skills
Three years teaching experience, preferably in the special education setting/classroom
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Receive student referrals; select and administer formal and informal assessments to determine student
eligibility for student support services according to federal and Texas Education Agency regulations.
2. Participate in multidisciplinary team evaluation and report writing.
Diagnostician Plainview ISD HR Services
* Pay Plans & Employee Calendars located at www.plainviewisd.org – Click on Employment tab
3. Compile and evaluate comprehensive student information including classroom observations; personal
interviews with the student, teachers(s), parents and others; and relevant assessment data from student’s
cumulative folder. Consult with parents and teacher concerning the educational needs of students and
interpretation of assessment data.
4. Conduct and participate in the Admission, Review, and Dismissal (ARD) Committee to assist with
interpretation of assessment data, appropriate placement, and development of Individual Education
Plans (IEP) for students according to district procedures and state and federal regulations
5. Provide specific remediation techniques for students with intellectual disabilities, autism, and learning
6. Assist in the assessment and evaluation of students that do not qualify for special education services.
7. May serve as case manager and implement the special education assessment process for students on