Provide district-wide instructional support to build teachers’ knowledge of special education services. Coach teachers in providing specialized support to our identified special education students who have an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) using learning activities and experiences designed to help our identified special education students fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and social growth. Help teachers develop or modify specific curricula and prepare lessons and other instructional materials to match cognitive, behavioral, communicative, and physical ability levels of our identified students to ensure our students receive appropriate and specialized instruction and related services. Work in self-contained, team, departmental, or itinerant capacity as assigned.
Education/Certification: Valid Special Education Texas teaching certificate Bachelor’s degree from accredited university Reliable Transportation & Valid Texas Driver’s License
Special Knowledge/Skills: Strong organizational, communication, and inter- and intrapersonal skills Knowledge of curriculum design and implementation Knowledge of the district curriculum and district initiatives/programs Knowledge of the needs of students on the special education continuum Knowledge of how to adapt curriculum and instruction to meet the needs of students receiving special education services Knowledge of the development and implementation of Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) Demonstrated ability to interpret district and campus data for determining corrective interventions associated with instructional decisions and programming which impact teacher instruction and student performance Demonstrated evidence of flexible thinking and willingness to accept new ideas and constructive feedback for personal, professional and program growth and development Demonstrated ability to work respectfully and collaboratively with all stakeholders for ensuring improvement in both instructional performance and academic achievement Strong leadership skills with the ability to develop and deliver training to adult learners Ability to make appropriate recommendations to teachers based on collected data.
Experience: Minimum of three (3) years of successful classroom teaching experience with special education teaching emphasis Experience in developing and delivering training to adult learners, preferred.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
Instructional Planning, Program Delivery, Staff Development & Evaluation
1. Provide and monitor the implementation of professional development to campus staff & teachers of students identified for special education services.
2. Collaborate with campuses to disaggregate and use assessment data.
3. Observe instruction in classrooms, provide paraprofessional & teacher feedback, model lessons and work with campus staff & teachers to implement best teaching practices for students identified for special education services.
4. Work cooperatively with paraprofessionals & classroom teachers to modify regular curricula as needed to assist students identified for special education services with assignments.
5. Plan with teachers and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, and equipment that reflect understanding of the learning styles and needs of students identified for special education services.
6. Present subject matter effectively. Work with paraprofessionals & teachers to employ a variety of instructional techniques and media including technology to meet the needs and capabilities of each student identified for special education services.
7. Collaborate in evaluation, purchase, and use of instructional materials for students identified for special education services.
8. Through the provision of coaching and mentoring, assist teacher to master the fundamentals of classroom practice and instructional strategies that contribute to student achievement and build instructional capacity.
9. Disseminate information regarding current research and significant developments on the state and national levels.
10. Improve teacher quality through the application of coaching cycles for classroom practices and instructional strategies.